Saturday, November 6, 2010

Virgin Feet AND Flows Pt. 2

Before I had ever written a rhyme and all I knew how to do was kick a garbage freestyle I was in Austin, TX (early to mid 2002) at the Mercury Lounge for Hip Hop Humpday, a weekly freestyle session running for over 3 years when the good homie Element7D (aka Deon Davis) invited me on stage to kick a verse. I kicked my little trash rap and was ready to exit the stage when Element7D grabbed me and said, 'you ain't done, we gotta go back and forth.' I was nervous but wasn't gonna say no. He went first and immediately referenced the fact we both had the same shoes on, navy blue GBX boots. All I had brought with me on the trip was a pair of Nikes, so my cousin let me borrow his kicks to get into the show, cuz they wouldn't allow sneakers in the club. The rest is history. - Gotham Green (http://gothamgreen.wordpress.com)


I can't remember what shoes I had on when I rocked my first show, but they where probably not that hot. I wasn't a sneaker pimp in high school. I was into CDs and reefer sacks. My first show was in high school at a high school talent show and the more I think about it, I was probably wearing standard and very basic timberland boots. I was in high school from 1996-2000 and wore boots most of the time, it's Colorado lol. I will say that right now in my life I'm way more into sneakers and I'm looking for every DOPE pair I can get my hands on. - Whygee (www.whygeemusic.com)

I have always loved sneakers. Growing up a poor kid I never had a nice pair. When I got older and got a great job I became a sneakerhead. I bought a pair of $500 glow in the dark air force 1's at a store in DC called Kickballers (which is no more). While I was there people were skating and a rap battle was going on. It was the first time I ever took the mic. The next day I got the mic tattooed on my arm. Me and the mic have a deep love, just as much as I love my sneakers. - Nastasjia



My first show was in 2001 at the Maple Leaf Bar in New Orleans. I stared at the floor the whole time, smh. Can't remember the kicks but they weren't fresh. I was hurting. Came a long ways from there. Now it's cordless mics & Bo Jacksons on my feet. - Nesby Phips (www.nesbyphips.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment