Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Culture & Community Series: Interview with DJ E.F. Cuttin

SH: Aight, so for those who may not know, please let the internets know who you are...

EF: I go by the name of E. F. Cuttin, NOLA DJ, Producer, and Damn Near Big Deal.


SH: Indeed. Give us some detail about your origins in DJing. How and where did you begin your turntablin' journey?


EF: I always had record players and a collection from the time I was 3 years old. As I got older (around 7), Moms used to let me change the records at her parties and the people dubbed me "The DJ."


SH: What would you say propelled you to the next step in making DJing your life's work/passion?


EF
: Watching Wild Style as an 11-year old kid. Grandmaster Flash had just dropped Adventures On The Wheels Of Steel and I was scratching my head trying to figure out how he was doing that. The movie gave me the visual I needed. Then when I hit middle school and started going to the dances, I watched the DJs and went home and emulated them.

SH
: Flash continues to be a prominent fixture in our culture. With that being said, what do you consider your job or mission as a DJ?


EF: It depends on the assignment. If its a party, my job is to keep asses on the dance floor or at the bar dying of thirst from working it out on the floor. If its a show, the job is to keep the audience entertained until the show starts. If its a corporate gig/mall gig, my job is to provide the soundtrack to the activities...


SH
: Scratching for every fashion, so to speak. That response brings about another question: how do you get your DJing style to mesh with everyone--from the backpackers to the upstart entrepreneurs at said corporate gig to the gangster rappers and beyond?

EF: Basically I have to read the crowd... The common denominator will always be solid music, even the Jeezy fan can relate to a Kweli cut and vice versa if presented in a palatable manner.

SH
: Word, can definitely agree with that. Being an artist of any form--painter, dancer, emcee, DJ, etc--isn't always the easiest road. What keeps you motivated?

EF: Good music always inspires me, and seeing the youth embrace the purest form of hip hop and master the language of being fresh, fly, wild, and boldword to Grandmaster Caz.

SH
: Bet. Being established in the N.O. scene for almost two decades now, how would you describe the pre-Katrina scene versus the post-Katrina scene?

EF
: The Pre-K scene was there, albeit more scattered and loose-knit. We acknowledged each other but rarely collab'ed...Whereas now the movement is thriving due to the unity within and universal hunger to succeed without compromise.

SH
: It's always good to have that bridge, in my opinion, between the cats (like yourself) who have been doing it and the cadre of talented and hungry up-and-comers. What's your advice for new DJs and emcees trying to rise among the elite in this industry and make a name for themselves?

EF
: You gotta pay dues. Ask questions, study those who came before you, and really be doing it for the right reasons. This initially was not a venture you went into for financial gain, it is about expressing yourself in the best way you can, so you gotta love the crafteven when it's not paying you.

SH
: Real talk. Continuing on with a look back, give us your perspective on the longest running Hip-Hop showcase in the city, Truth Universal’s Grassroots.

EF
: It has truly been a blessing to be a part of Grassroots, although my Hookah gig keeps me from attending [both on Saturdays]. I was there from Day 1 at the Neighborhood Gallery when we would actually be happy if 20 people came. So for it to be almost 10 years and still going strong is truly a blessing...

SH: Word, it's a pleasure to be a part of that continued history. 20 people is hard to believe in this day and age, but it just goes to show you the continued perseverance of Mr. Self-Determination & the Damn Near Big Deal.

EF
: Haha...word...you know how I do it...its a marathon, not a sprint.

SH
: One of the quotes I continue to live by daily! I think some people confuse or merge the "Twitter" E.F. with the actual man. Would you separate the two? And if so, what would be the key differences?

EF
: I'm more reserved in person than I am on twitter. Unless I'm herbally enhanced, then I'm that twitter guy

SH
: HAHA... many don't know about your production credits and that you most certainly have bangers on deck. Let the people know a little more on the man behind the boards.

EF
: I actually started producing at 19 when my friend had copped an SP1200. I always had records, so when I learned to take an old record and make something new, I was hooked. I really took off when I moved here and linked with my PsychoWard fam. With the arsenal of MCs, DJs, and producers on deck, it made for fun times always. I produced half of our album, www.psychoward.com, but I think I grew frustrated of the lack of people who used my tracks, until I started working with Bionic Brown (rest in peace).

SH
: Right on, defnitely planned on touching on those two topics. Let's start off with PsychoWard, still known as one of New Orleans' top Hip-Hop collectives that I know you take a lot of pride in. How would you explain PsychoWard and your time with the group to someone who’s not familiar?

EF
: When we were really grinding it out it was some of the greatest times of my life. We mobbed up, partied, smoked, drank, joked, and made bangers daily. Cats like Raj Smoove, Mac, and One-Eye stayed in some public event and we had such presence due to the numbers, we were the most intimidating squad around...

SH: Speaking on that, Mac & Bionik are two of the most enigmatic and highly revered emcees in New Orleans. Give us your insight on both. Similarities, differences?

EF: The similarities were the work ethic. Both had that knack to just kill a track with little to no effort. The key difference was Mac had an outlandish sense of humor, whereas Bionic was reserved, always in observation mode...

SH
: Woulda never expected that from the lyrical assassin. Back to the DJing for a minute, what "formula" catches your ear when it comes to your breaking a new record?

EF
: For clubs, I look for the perfect mix of beat, hook, and rhyme/song...then I try to let the people know that I like this record whether they do or not, and they're gonna be hearing a lot of it so get ready to deal with it. Underground is 100x easierwe like good shit, and are receptive to good shit from the 1st listen.

SH: True indeed. Another thing many not know (me included)--your introduction into the GO DJs. Speak on that if you'd be so kind.

EF
: The homie DJ Black And Mild was rocking real tough with DJ Hi C (CEO) out of HTX, and they felt it was time to have a LA chapter...so he hollered at me, and me knowing HiC and seeing his grind, I was with it off top.

SH: Would you mind letting us know what's on the horizon for Team Cuttin?

EF
: We're on a mission to rebrand how we do music, business, and networking...Bringing back the HIP HOP way as opposed to the BS marketing you see right now.... Fresh Tees are on deck, mixtape projects, all kinds of stuff...

SH
: Bet. Any shoutouts before we depart?

EF
: Big shouts to my Psychoward/PCO fam, my GO DJs, the GrassRoots and Soundclash families, all the people out here gettin it the right way...

SH
: Fo sho. Thanks for this.

EF
: Thank you famo!!!!! Be easy!!!

Catch up with E.F. Cuttin on the daily at http://twitter.com/EFCuttin and every Friday for A-List Fridays and Hookah Hip-Hop, Saturdays at the Hookah on 309 Decatur.

No comments:

Post a Comment