Sunday, June 6, 2010

Impigaleaux Interview Part Two


Slangston Hughes (SH): When it comes to mc'ing what do you feel is your crowning achievement? What has given you the most pride?

Impulss (I): I think having the Head 2 Head MC Battle at One Eyed Jacks was great for the rebuilding effort because when they offered me a monthly there, I wanted people to be able to say, "hey, there's something back home cooking and I want to be a part of it." As many cyphers as I've been in, battles I've participated, shows I've hosted, giving the ability to host something that was about bringing a community together was the most important in my estimation.

SH: How do you feel the birth of your children & the building of your family have affected your music/writing?

I: I know it has made me who I am today. There's nothing like the total envelopment you feel when you create family. There was a time when I had no one else. I'm an only child. My parents divorced when I was 13. My father went to Oregon when I was 16 and I didn't hear from him but a few times until I was 26. When Rita and the boys came into my life it gave me the sense of foundation that made me want to live more than ever. It's the feeling of stability and being loved and loving in return that transfers a sense of value into everything I do. It's the greatest feeling in the world and I believe you can hear how lucky I feel when you listen to my music now.

SH: Who or what would you say has provided the most inspiration for your musically?

I: I'm not really sure where it comes from. I suppose the wisest thing I would imagine is that it's a little bit of all the events that came to pass and all the music I've heard; everything I've experienced alone or with others. I think one can have a picture in their head of what they want to project and look at those they admire and hope to display something like that and call that an influence. I think I've come across enough different influences, absorbed so much random external stimuli...

SH: You have a nice cadre of well-known and diverse emcees, producers and dj's that you have been blessed to build with over the years. What tips would you provide aspiring up and coming rappers when it comes to building that type of rapport with those who can assist in getting their name out and to the right people?

I: I guess when you're on the same path as other like minded people you will intersect. It's a big world but we tend to narrow ourselves down into small genres that gather into even smaller venues. I guess I could say go to places that those people congregate. When I was 18, I paid a grip for a pass to the BRE Convention (Black Radio Exclusive Magazine Convention) because I wanted to make connections. Don't be scared to spend money. I would fly to ATL for Jack The Rapper, stay up in the hotel and the same important people at BRE were at Jack and they'd see me there too. So to them I must have had some level of importance or I couldn't have been there at all the functions they go to. Go to shows, holla at the DJ. I was fearless and would be in anyone's face. When you are respectful about your approach and you actually have something, you make contacts. And as a conversation tip, don't just talk music, music, music. When you're talking about other things, you could make a friend. When the conversation is just about music, they know you're just trying to get put on. Talk basketball, history, electronics, whatever. Become a pal.

SH: Name one thing about Impulss that you wish people/listeners knew, but don't.

I: I'm not sure what people don't know about me. My wife says I have a weirdness about me that I don't carry outside when I'm among, say, a Uniquity crowd. I was walking like a dinosaur today with my son and a song came on TV so I started doing a goofy/sexy dance but still standing like a T-Rex. My wife was like, "Oh Lord, if those who go to your shows could see you now. They have no idea." I'm not sure if I want people to know that or not, or care not. Yay weird.

SH: How do you describe your "sound" and since you produce, record, mix and master the majority of your own music, how would you describe that process?

I: Whatever works.

SH: What are your thoughts on working with live band Fo On the Flo for Uniquity?

I: They are quick and will be kidnapped and forced to play at gunpoint behind my wife as she sings in public. Honestly, they are talented beyond what would be expected for their ages. I'd love to work with them again.

For more info on Uniquity's featured artist for the month of May including his most recent release, Marie Laveaux's Hustle, check out the following links:

http://mcimpulss.bandcamp.com/
www.myspace.com/impulss
http://www.facebook.com/mcimpulss
http://twitter.com/impulss
http://impulssblog.blogspot.com

* Photos courtesy of Larry Legaux of Onpoint Solutions (http://www.onpointwebsite.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment